Hot Ways To Move From U.S To Canada

176 total views

If you have ever wondered how to move from the U.S to Canada then this article is for you.

There’s a reason why Canada is often thought of as one of the nicest places in the world to live. For starters, the country boasts a stable economy and a high standard of living.

So if you’re a US citizen looking to immigrate to Canada, here’s how you can do it.


Through the Express Entry System

The number of American immigrants in Canada has been increasingly high. In 2019, it rose to 10,000 newcomers.

The Express Entry system is one of the top reasons why many US citizens are tempted to live in Canada permanently.

The Express Entry system welcomes more than 11,000 skilled workers to Canada annually.

As the easiest pathway toward permanent residency in Canada, the system is the most popular among the numerous ways by prospective immigrants. The Express Entry system is divided into three programs:

  • Federal skilled workers (FSW)
  • Federal skilled trades (FST)
  • Canadian experience class (CEC)

You may move to Canada through those three different paths.

The Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) lets foreign workers apply for residency without solid connections inside the country.

Who is Eligible to Apply Under the Express Entry?

All interested applicants must first assess which programs are appropriate for them. The eligibility requirements are different from one program to another.

For FSW:

  • Worked at least one 1-year full-time skilled work experience within the last ten years skilled work ranked based on the National Occupational Classification
  • English or French proficiency level of at least CLB 7
  • Canadian secondary school diploma
  • Enough funds to support yourself
  • Intention to live outside Quebec
  • Must acquire at least 67 out of 100 merit points

For FST:

At least two years of work experience (full-time) as a licensed/certified professional/skilled worker as defined by the NOC A valid offer of a full-time 12-month job or a certificate of qualification issued by a provincial authority in Canada Intention to live outside of Quebec

For CEC:

  • 12 months of skilled work experience (full-time) in Canada within the last three years
  • NOC level of 0, A, or B
  • Must reach at least CLB 7 in English/French
  • Intention to live outside of Quebec

How to apply for permanent residency in Canada under the Express Entry?

The requirements, eligibility, and process may vary based on the pathway or program you choose, but the basics you should keep in mind include the following.


Submit your profile containing your passport/travel document, a language test result, and educational credential assessment result.


After you have submitted your profile, you should be able to receive the Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency in Canada.

Also known as the Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR), the ITA is the last document you’ll need to obtain your Canadian citizenship.

After receiving this document, you’ll only have to wait for weeks or months to officially become a permanent resident in Canada.

But before you get an ITA, you will first be included in a pool of candidates. They will then rank you based on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), which will determine whether your application is accepted.


After obtaining your ITA, you may still need to provide some documents to strengthen your application to become a Canadian citizen.

Such documents may include identity documents, clearances, reference letters, certificates, medical exams, etc.

How much does it cost, how long, and how are merit points calculated?

Submitting your profile for Express Entry is free. But upon qualifying, other required documents may cost you CAD 2,300.

For couples, it may cost up to $4,500, including the language test, credential assessment, medical exams, biometrics, police clearance, and many more.

Your application will be ranked based on the following metrics:

  • Age
  • Education
  • Foreign/Canadian work experience
  • Language proficiency (English or French)
  • Connections
  • Spouse and family factors

Although Express Entry is the easiest and quickest way, some applicants may still be unfortunate under this path. In that case, don’t lose hope as there are many more ways.

Other ways to move from the US to Canada

Aside from your work experience, which is crucial in Express Entry, you may still become a Canadian citizen through the following:

If your spouse, conjugal partner, or common-law partner is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada, they may sponsor your migration to Canada.

To qualify as a sponsor, your partner should be at least 18 years old, with no criminal record, and can support you financially.

In addition, unmarried couples must be able to prove that they’ve been living together long enough. Documents may include shared bills, properties, same address, and many others.

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)

This type of migration varies from province to province. Each Canadian province has requirements, eligibility, processes, and duration, usually based on economic and demographic needs.

The provinces with the most effortless PNP process include Saskatchewan, Alberta, Ontario, and Nova Scotia.

Startup Visa

The Startup Visa program is perfect for entrepreneurs planning to establish a business in Canada.

With this, you’ll be able to obtain permanent residence based on your potential to create jobs, support innovative entrepreneurs, and generate a significant economic impact.

You can even find jobs while waiting for your designated organization. This pathway, however, may have too much financial and social demand.

International student programs

International students in Canada may also apply as permanent residents while studying or even after completing their degree.

In this case, applicants will most likely fall under the Canadian Experience Class and have a great advantage in their professional potential.

Work permits

Work permits are required if you’re a foreign worker in Canada.

Although this permit will only let you live and work in Canada for a specific time, you may use the experience to become a skilled worker qualified for permanent residence.

Foreigners who have a permanent jobs in Canada can usually get their applications approved easier.

Right of Permanent Residence

The Right of Permanent Residence lets holders live and work in Canada for five years, which you may extend or use to apply for Canadian citizenship.

It comes with a fee based on how you choose to obtain your permanent residence.

Dual Citizenship

If you’re a US citizen and have a permanent residence in Canada, you may apply to be a Canadian citizen and obtain dual citizenship As a US national, you can still retain your citizenship in the US even after becoming a Canadian citizen. This will grant you residency rights in both countries.

Sending Money To US and Exchanging Currency

Looking to send money back home or exchange your USD for CAD? Then you need RemitBee! We’re the best way to transfer money internationally, offering great rates and fast transfers.

Our friendly and knowledgeable customer service team is always here to help if you have any questions.

Share this Post

About Us

What started as a mission to share educational news has grown into your daily go-to for educational resources for teachers, parents and students.