Apple Syllable Sort Phonological Awareness Activity
When it comes to the fall season, there is one iconic fruit that stands out above the rest. If you’re planning an Apple Theme in your classroom this fall, this apple syllable sort activity will make a great small group or center activity options for pre-k and kindergarten. In this phonological awareness activity, your kids will practice identifying how many syllables are in a word and then sort the apples by the number of syllables they hear.
GET A FULL WEEK OF APPLE THEME ACTIVITIES IN OUR PRINTABLE PRESCHOOL LESSON PLANS.
MATERIALS FOR APPLE THEME SORTING
- Numbered baskets (use the ones in the printable or use real baskets to make it a little more fun)
- Free printable apple syllables sound sort (see link below)
To get started with this activity, cut out the apples. If you want to use them over and over, I recommend laminating them so they last longer.
Decide whether you want to use the printable sorting baskets or use real baskets that your kids can sort the “apples” into.
When introducing this activity you can use do so as a large group or break your kids up into small groups as part of skill practice, or in your literacy centers for additional independent practice.
Important tip: Remember to introduce the vocabulary prior to expecting students to do the task independently, so they are sure to know the words reflected in the pictures.
Here are some examples:
- 1 Syllable: keys, soap, mask, lock, dog, ant
- 2 Syllables: money, waffles, bottle, dolphin, airplane, cookies
- 3 Syllables: astronaut, jellyfish, submarine, elephant, dragonfly, volcano
- 4 Syllables: macaroni, calculator, armadillo, helicopter, harmonica, alligator
COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW TO GET YOUR FREE APPLE SYLLABLE SORT PRINTABLE!
GET A FULL SET OF APPLE THEME ACTIVITIES
Help children learn more about apples in a playful hands-on way with the apple activities in this comprehensive set of lesson plans for preschool, PreK and TK classrooms. This apple theme preschool lesson plan pack can be used during the fall, back-to-school time, in conjunction with a fruit theme, aligned with exploring the letter A, etc. Watch this short video to see just a few examples of the types of activities and printables included in this set:
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
- Apple Number Cards (0-35)
- “Counting Apples” emergent reader
- “I See Apples” emergent reader
- Apple Letters (uppercase and lowercase in both red and green)
- Apple Life Cycle Cards (in color and b/w)
- Label the Apple Diagram (in color and b/w) with labeling cards
- Apple Pattern Cards
- Put the Apples on the Tree Game Mat
- Editable cover and pages for a class apple book
Also available on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Recycling in your classroom can easily be made a daily activity. Try implementing one or more of these recycling…