75 Creative Fifth Grade Writing Prompts (Free Slides!)
Fifth grade is such an exciting time! For many kids, it’s the last year of elementary school, and so many exciting things lie ahead. Fifth graders have accumulated some interesting stories to tell by now, and they’re building stronger writing skills. These fifth grade writing prompts encourage kids to imagine, explain, persuade, and reveal—improving their writing abilities day by day.
If you’d like even more upper elementary writing prompts, check out the Would You Rather questions we post regularly on the Daily Classroom Hub. Kids will get a kick out of these, for writing or discussion!
(Want this entire set of fifth grade writing prompts in one easy document? Get your free PDF or Google Slide bundle by submitting your email here .)
1. How important is it to finish what you start?
2. What does it mean to be honest? Give one solid example of what honesty looks like.
3. What three qualities do you think are most important in a friend? Why?
4. Since fifth grade is the top grade in elementary school, should fifth graders get special privileges? If so, write in detail about one privilege you think they should get. If not, why not?
5. Vincent van Gogh said, “If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere.” Describe one of your favorite places in nature in detail.
6. Are fifth graders old enough to babysit little kids? Why or why not?
7. Write about three qualities that make a good leader.
8. Should teachers assign homework? Why or why not?
What are your favorite fifth grade writing prompts? Come share your ideas on the WeAreTeachers HELPLINE group on Facebook!
Plus, check out 50 Fifth Grade Math Word Problems of the Day.